Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Umbrella Story

The story of how I now ought to prefer colourful patterns as opposed to the repetitive black and whites that I used to... An indication of how I people (me) grow out of their comfort zones.. Maybe jump around a little, and finally trust people.

This one time, shopping for all the back-to-school supplies with my mother, we came across a small store. What attracted me to the store was the display of umbrellas. It was a store that sold only umbrellas and rain-coats. I convinced myself that I was in desperate need of an umbrella, since "Mom! All my friends now have umbrellas. No one really wears rain coats anymore!" Yeah, mom. Like you didn't see through THAT.
So, the store..
It had these wonderful glass displays full of umbrellas and they were all black, grey or white, all with different patterns. I entered the store with my mother. I started looking for an umbrella that I would like. The shopkeeper, trying to be helpful, fished out all the colourful ones he had. Zazzy colours. Stripes, flames, polka dots.. you name it. He was a little disappointed to see that I didn't like them one bit.
I asked him to show me the black and grey ones. He looked a little puzzled and said "Beta, those are for all the boring people.. All the kids use these colourful ones! Why don't you choose something from these, here?" but I insisted.
He finally showed me some of the black and grey ones. I found one that I really liked. It was black.. and had grey checks. Uncommon. Things that don't stand out in a crowd. Good enough to blend in, unless someone looked closely. I ended up buying that one.

After I went home, I enthusiastically showed it to my grandfather. He asked me why I liked it so much. I didn't really have an answer at that time. I just said I liked it.
After two days of thinking about grandfather's question, I framed an acceptable response. Well, acceptable  by babyish standards, of course. I was much younger, then, you see.
I told him what the shopkeeper had said as well, right after my 'answer'.
My answer (I don't remember much.. or I'd rather pretend that I do not remember..) consisted something along the lines of  "Tata, I don't want to stand out in a crowd. It is scary. People will look at you and point you out. All your flaws.. wide open... for the whole wide world to see..! How can anyone want that? By buying an inconspicuous, yet pretty umbrella, I'm just trying to make sure that people who see me for me will be able to find my faults. That way, people I give permission to, are the only ones who can break my walls.."
He asked me if I could keep a secret, then.. to which I said yes, of course. Being a quiet and calm person, it kinda came naturally to me. 
He then sat me down after dinner, and told me things that I will never forget. He told me about how I must not let what people think of me define me.. of how people always judge a book by its cover and how people notice colour. He told me that colour and pattern were things people are attracted to and that even when faults were found, they would overlook them. I didn't believe it, then.. I somehow do not believe it now, either. People are mean. They do not overlook faults. They cannot accept things that are beyond them. They just..Believe. Naive as it may be, the word believe does, in fact have the word 'lie' in it.. (Looks like a thought for another day, though..)
By using a colourful exterior, you can try covering an ugly interior.. But then, it works the other way round, too, doesn't it? Cliché. The colourful, beautiful interior, covered by the dull greys.. More than enough movies on that concept.
Then what about the beautiful interior.. The one shuttered by multiple layers of black? What can be done to the walls that have been re-erected after a betrayal, or two.. or a hundred? The walls that might never crumble again? 
See? People don't notice. They just go about their business and leave the rest. And that is a good thing. The last thing someone shuttered needs, is people prying.
There are more things my grandfather told me that day.. about how not all people are like that.. etc. etc. Maybe. Maybe not. It ain't my life's mission to find out the truth behind those words. I hope they are true.. and that there are people out there who care. But that doesn't make much difference anyway.

Well.. after that little talk, I never told of that piece of advice to anyone. He also told me to use the black-grey umbrella until I was comfortable with using a colourful one. 

I use the black-grey one till this day.




Maybe some day, I will visit that shop once again and ask the shopkeeper to give me the most colourful, flashy, pretty umbrella he has and start using it. Maybe then, I will be able to throw away the black-grey one.. The one, owing to whose small size, travels with me in my bag almost always, during the rains. The one that shields me from people.. the one that shields me from.. Me.
Well, then... That's the story. Off to bed, kids.

P.S. Apologies to the black-grey umbrella. I love you. And you are absolutely BEA-utiful.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely post :) Accepting things beyond someone is very difficult, specially to those who were betrayed..because such acceptances lead to betrayal and dismay..nevertheless it has a positive side also :)
    And in a lot of situations people DO overlook faults. lets take a small example, which almost all of us might have faced. In school there are always few favorite students for a teacher, if they have done something wrong she will overlook them but if the same mistake is done by others they are not overlooked and they will have to bear a punishment for their faults. In the same way like just like ur Grandpa said, in a lot of situations people look at the outer bright and colorful part, deceived by them, they overlook faults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Anon, for taking the time to comment.
      I agree that the best way to save yourself from betrayal is to never give out your trust..Never accept and never actually see things the way they are.
      I think I'll go buy the colourful dress. It might save me a betrayal, what say?;)

      Delete
  2. Your welcome :) never giving out your trust might be a smart way to save oneself from betrayal but whats in a life where there is no trust? ;) Everything has a positive and negative side..all we can do is endure the negativity and cherish the positivism :) Yeah i think you should go and try few colors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I see your point. But cynics will be cynics ^_^
      Colours.. Hot pink, or neon orange? :P
      Choose. Next time you see me, I might be under a similar coloured umbrella ;)
      (Why are you Anon D: *Dying to know who you are* lol)

      Delete
  3. I see things differently here. I see you leading a monotonous life and afraid to change. Scared to feel different. Feel something new, unknown. Try and embrace life as a puzzle. Every new piece adds a new detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon, I assure you that my life is, in no way monotonous.
      One does not have to FEEL different. Everyone IS different. :)
      The feel of the unknown is what drives anyone. We are, but human!

      About every piece of the puzzle adding detail, I'll say.. you don't know how long you'll stick around and whether or not you'll be able to build the puzzle at all.. what if you don't like the puzzle you're building?

      Delete
  4. i choose hot pink..i suppose that will be better to neon orange for girls but.... when am i going to see u? ;)
    ( Sometimes its better to be anon rather than revealing your identity and sow a seed of prejudice in the others mind :) but only sometimes ;) ) How about creating a new identity for myself in your blog? Give me any name of your choice and i will use it from next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot pink! Looks like you'll have to wait for that to happen. ;)
      When you'll see me depends on who you are. xD
      Logically, if you're from my college, you'll have a higher chance of seeing me. If not, then.. who knows. I hardly step out of home .. :P

      Jeez. New identity, huh. Aren't you bored of my blog already? Haha
      Chalo, just use your real name. ;)

      Delete
  5. i will wait :) and i'm not from your college ! But we will meet sometime definitely ..sometime when you step out of your house ;) and no i'm not still bored..there is a lot to read! update more before i complete reading everything! i'm not using my real name anyway but i'm gonna choose some name from what you replied..'jeez' ! i know its weird but even i'm weird so its cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Jeez', ehh..?
      Well, hello to you, you weird friend.. xD

      Delete